Sunday, November 15, 2009

SNAKES!!!!!!




Why us?
We have read so many stories about the deadly snakes of OZ, but mostly we have seen road kills and the ever present warning signs. Then this week we drove to the beach and coming back on a red cinder road we saw our first genuine, deadly, poisonous, venomous, killer snake of Oz.
We had seen a lot of sticks in the road that we thought were snakes but as we came around the corner THERE IT WAS. NO DOUBT. It was BIG, probably 4 feet long and laying there as snakey as could be in this classic "s" curves on the other side of the roadway. Wow! I wanted a photo so when we got even with it I stopped (windows rolled UP) and grabbed the camera as this ugly looking serpent raised half its body length and was about to stike at the car. It was just a hideous moment and I thought "That stupid snake is going to strike this metal car and bust off his fangs". Nope. He thought better of it and raced, (and I mean raced, it was the fastest snake I'd ever seen) under the car and out the other side. I handed the camera to Sheryl to try for a photo as he came out her side but OOPS, there was no snake. ??????? He was UNDER our car!!!!!!!! So I threw it in reverse and went pulling back as fast as I could, to get a photo before he was gone but THERE WAS NO SNAKE!
Holy #&%!
We were horrified!
That damned snake was up under our car - or was he? Talk about an awful feeling. We searched the floor boards for holes and could find none. I tried my lame herpatologist explanation of how snakes don't like hot greasy cars, he must have gone out the rear before we saw him......
What an awful moment as we slowly drove away. It was REAL quiet in that car as we finally made it to town. and sat in the car not wanting to step out. Just creepy as hell. Finally we both leaped from the car and from 20 feet away looked underneath. No snake. The trunk? I didn't open it until the next day and jumped like crazy as it opened. No snake. It's been 3 days now and tomorrow we get rid of the car. Can't wait.

1 comment:

  1. Had a wonderful laugh..maybe you need to golf with a club and I mean CLUB! Hope Sheryl has recovered from her 13, looks like you are having fun...are there that many flies? Pat

    ReplyDelete